Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Bullets or Butterflies




No so long ago I was assigned to write about this specific quote: “words can be bullets or butterflies”. I have to admit, I was quite fascinated to actually write and express my thoughts towards this given quote. Many ideas came to my mind and I was exploding with eager to finally write.

1.   A bullet, representing external harm yet, also the internal damage words can cause.

2.    A butterfly, representing beauty and its delicate ability to always soften the words used.

This is my perspective and understanding of the quote.

Personally, I believe words have such a huge impact on society today. Some people talk without even thinking, others think too much, some are just afraid, while other can’t speak at all. I think it is sad. The fact is that we don’t truly say what we feel, not because we don’t want to, but because we don’t know how to. We are so afraid of always being wrong. But if you go back to the quote and really start to think, butterflies can’t see their wings. They can’t see how beautiful they are, but everyone else can. People are just like that as well. When you truly take time and listen with the ears of your heart you’ll be surprised of the delightful, yet at the same time horrendous things you might hear. 

I took a quest myself and I listened beyond the ordinary routine of everyday’s life.

People… you, me us. That’s what forms a nation of thousands of voices wanting to be heard. I can clearly remember the story of one of my friends. We’ve always been together since before Pre-K. One day he was desperate and could barely talk. I told him to relax, and that everything would be okay. He finally managed to settle himself down and he just let everything out. He recently came out to his parents and told them he was gay. It took him a lot of courage but his parents didn’t take it so well. Now he’s a sophomore in college and his parents demanded he had to move out. Words can leave scars and cuts the naked eye can’t see. Why waste a second not loving who you are? Those little imperfections make you beautiful, lovable, and valuable, they show your personality inside your heart, reflecting who you are.

One late afternoon I decided to go for a walk. I was near the park and I saw a couple arguing for an unknown cause. I didn’t want to eavesdrop but I was quite curious to know what the deal was! I could hear screams from like a mile behind me. I guess he really hurt her because she burst into tears. He just walked away and left her there alone without even saying a word. I think everybody at least once has been heartbroken like that. Then, I suddenly realized, sometimes the person you’d take a bullet for, ends up being the one behind the gun. I felt terrible for this lady. It seemed like he really hurt her and I could see the pain in her eyes. I guess all that’s left is wait for the best, because tomorrow will always be a brighter day!

A few days past by and after a long day I decided to relax for a while. I turned the T.V on and the very first thing that came up was a documentary about the previous war in Syria. I have to admit it actually did get me feeling quite depressed. Just the fact that people were being killed and harmless children had to die. Peace is not something you wish for, it’s something you make. Something you do. Something you are. Something you give away! While you sit around thinking about what you can’t change and worrying about all the wrong things, time’s flying by, moving so fast. You better make it count because you can’t get it back. So, I ask myself; “why fight against countries? Why kill more men?” some bullets can be superficial while others can kill you to death.

The next morning I got up and I went to school like any other regular day. I got there and I walked into to the bathroom just to fix my hair. I saw a girl starring back at the mirror not happy with the reflection she saw. I thought she was beautiful right away, but it seems she doesn’t feel the same way. She finds color in the darkest places. She finds beauty in the saddest of faces. She dances in spite of the fact that she’s different. I didn’t know her but either way I went up to her and said: “Darling, open your eyes. You are not made up of those words that hurt you. Or that number on the scale. Or the expectation you feel you will never meet. You are made up of nothing more than you. You are a lovely and complex. No other is beautiful as you. Look past the mirror. Look at your soul. Only then, you’ll see yourself as how you truly are. Beautiful! So, smile and don’t forget to love yourself” I really hope I made her day. I think happiness is what makes you pretty. Period. Happy people are beautiful. They become like a mirror and they reflect that happiness to others.

I love this crazy, tragic, sometimes almost magic, awful, beautiful life. “It’s only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential, is invisible to the eye”.


6 comments:

  1. Really touching and beautiful ,good job Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly see with your heart. You are very intuitive. I have not see such a lovely illustration of the impact of positive words before. You also painted quite a picture of the impact of destructive words. This brings to mind the quote "The pen is mightier than the sword." You have a lovely way with expressing ideas. I am quite impressed. Sra. Martinez

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats beautiful Amanda! You're a natural and have a calling writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Amanda, this is the real life, keep thinking the way you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job buddy. You never cease to amaze me with your writing. :) Keep it up! P.S You have unveiled a hidden truth. I hope others can acknowledge your words like those that already have. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting your point of view, and keep working on "the new world" you will make it. Pilar

    ReplyDelete